Earth Day is tomorrow, and Smith Iron and Metal is committed to not only being the best scrapyard and recycling center in Richmond, but also to honoring the environmental responsibility we have to to keep our hometown as clean and contaminant free as possible. Every little bit helps!
With our environmental commitment in mind, we must ask all our customers to properly remove and dispose of any and all harmful contaminants before bringing your shipment to us for processing. Any load containing these materials will be returned at your expense.
Please refer to the list below for our guidelines and best practices:
- We will not accept freon or any product containing Freon
- We will not accept closed containers and tanks that have not been cut open and cleaned of all content
- High pressure cylinders must have top and bottom cut off
- We will not accept scrap containing liquid, compressed gas or powder
- We will not accept undrained/unrinsed transformers
- Automobile transmissions and motors must be drained of all fluids
- All drums must have top cut off and have been emptied of all contents
- We do not accept aerosol cans
- We will not accept any type of turnings that contain cutting oil. All cutting oil must be drained prior to weigh-in
- We do not accept any type of batteries
- We will not accept mercury in any form
- Any sealed unit must be cut open and drained of all fluids
- We do not accept lead in any form
- We do not accept liquid-filled capacitors in any shape or with any electrical equipment
- All AC units and sheet metal/casings must have all capacitors removed
- All light fixtures and signs must have the ballast removed
- We will only accept light ballast with certification that it is PCB free
- We do not accept TV’s, computer monitors, or any type of CRT equipment.
Committed to Environmental Responsibility
We appreciate your understanding of our commitment to environmental responsibility. Since we highly value the environment and community in the Richmond area, and we’d like to do our part to keep it as clean as possible! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us online, message us on Facebook, or call us at (804) 271-1239!Tags: be responsible, environmental responsibility, please recycling, recycling guidelines, Scrap recycling, Smith Iron